Saturday, March 28, 2009

My 1st time

My 1st Auction
16 years ago I gave up drinking, for good. I needed something to replace all the time and money I had spent in the bars. After a few weeks of looking at Adult education Classes and so forth, I saw a poster for a Regular Saturday night Auction.

I had about $100 dollars on me the very 1st Auction. I walked into the large open room and started looking at everything I could, I got there late, but people where wondering all over looking at stuff and handling it. Kids every place, Moms screaming at them to PUT THAT BACK! It was almost a Circus! After a while I found a seat and just watched, I didn't plan on buying anything at all. But I found myself bidding on a few items and dropping out of them before I got the Item.

At some point the Auctioneer held up a small box with Razors and Strops and Old Cigarette Premium Indian Blankets, I bought it for $7.00.
During my "Viewing" I spotted an Odd Looking Television set with a Video Camera attached to a movable Copy Stand. I thought perhaps it was used to make animation videos, but you don't want to buy USED Electronics, but the TV was at least 40" and a Panasonic " Monitor" very nice if it worked at all, but I thought it would sell for $200 or so.

I bought about $25 worth of things by the end of the night. But the 3rd or 4th to last he put up the Panasonic Monitor. He started off saying he was sure the TV worked but was not sure what it all was for, He also said he called the Company's name on a sticker on the back of the TV.

He went on to say that the company offered him $450 Dollars for it, if it worked.
Someone in the Gallery asked him why he didn't sell it to them then. " Because I am an Auctioneer not a Broker! Who'll start off with $200!' No takers. He back peddled until he reached $10. I raised my hand. 3 others then made the price 45 and all of them drop out. I call $50 and the Auctioneer said, " I'm in the bidding at $55! " He was bidding on it for him self, and he made that very very clear! We bid each other up to $70... the last of my cash. He wanted me to go to 80 for it, I told him $75 was all the cash I had left and that was my final bid.

He and I talked for a good while, he was telling every body it was a guaranteed PROFIT in buying it. He looked at me and tried once more to get $80 from me. " I DON"T HAVE THAT MUCH! $75 is all I can do. "

SOLD! for $75 to a very smart buyer! I wasn't sure how smart I was at all.

Took it home and plugged it all in and Damn if it didn't work just fine. Beautiful Color and the Video Camera worked as well. It had to be for Video Animation I thought.
For $75 I had a Dang Nice Stereo Panasonic Video Monitor, I knew NEW those bring $4000. So I thought Heck I'll keep it! What a Bargain! If hadn't worked I woulda thrown it out and chalk it up to Stupidity.

But I saw the Label on the back and called them. When I called I told the guy I bought it at auction and might want to sell it. He asked me all kinds of questions, and I was getting the feeling this was STOLEN!

But I convinced him I BOUGHT it for $75 at Steve's Little Auction House 2 weeks earlier, I even brought the receipt. I brought it in ( it was a local company ) he looked it over and told me he was sorry but that One of their machines WAS Stolen from a customer of theirs, he was just being sure. He said he would check it out and if it needed any new parts we would deduct that off his offer price.

It was hard not to notice this man was Blind, he could see a little bit but thats what his Machines where for! So those very close to blindness could read Papers, Magazines and books, by Zooming in and Panning left right up or down with the copy stand and the Panasonic was the clearest picture for the HIGH Close ups they needed.

Now I was mad at who ever would of stolen one of these from a person who needed it, some people should just... well never mind.

I left it with him and about 2 weeks later he called and said he had to replace one camera connector, and offered me $425 for it, or pay him 25 bucks for the small repair.
Ummm can you mail me the check I asked. That was the moment when the Light Bulb Went Full On!

I might be able to make some money at this, hadn't even entered my mind before then.
But Steve The Auctioneer did me the biggest favor that night.... but he was a smart cookie. He got me coming back EVERY SINGLE Saturday until I had to shut my business.

I made $350 on my very 1st outing, not even an antique, and the buyer was VERY HAPPY to pay 425 for it, he was going to resell it for 2500 to another blind person, half what he sells them new. He even thanked me!

Auctioneers can be your very best asset in this business. I don't mean illegal things like collusion. But they have the info you need if you just USE IT! Ask Questions.
I use to think that I was may be too Brash, Too High Energy and Talkative, That I would tick off allot of other bidders by asking a question about a LOT.

After a few week though I found that most of the other bidders liked me doing it. The Auctioneer liked it because I shook the place up, kept folks on their toes. If I'm going to bid on a lot, I stand up walk to the back of the room, pace back and forth as I Raise my Number or like with Steve who got to know when I was bidding or just PICKING my nose. Sometimes I'll Yell out a Bid, Sometimes just flick a finger, I might Hide my Bids or I Might make a BIG PRODUCTION out of it, Depends on what I want to achieve.

That brings me to my next Blog Entry, The Ebb and Flow of an Auctions action!

No comments:

Post a Comment